Thursday, April 4, 2019

How to Pull Weeds

How to Pull Weeds

Some of my friends say that I am a little crazy because I enjoy doing lawn work. Although it is a lot like housework (never ever completely completed), there is a lot of fulfillment in walking away from a flower bed after having rid it of weeds and letting the plants that we really want to see show through. Obviously, if it is not done on a consistent basis, the weeds really do acquire the advantage. Then, instead of loving yard work, I find myself wanting a simple way to produce the result I wish for. As of yet, I have not found a weed killer that will discriminate between what I want and what I don't want, so I am the one who needs to make the judgment and take out the undesirable growth one by one.


As I work in my flower beds, I often review the fact that Jesus provided many illustrations using seeds, trees, fruit, plants, sowing, pruning and enjoying. As a result of the fall, the ground was cursed and work became an effort instead of a pleasure (Genesis 3:17 -19). There stays, nevertheless, the beauty of God's production all around us. If we are fortunate enough to have the stewardship of a plot of earth in which we can sow and gain, then we partner with God in His garden business.


In my garden, I have encountered a variety of weeds. A few of them have a single root. If that weed is pulled out by the root, terrific! If not, it will come back. Others have complicated root systems that make them next to difficult to pull out. They should be dug out. In those cases, I bear in mind that the Lord said that He was going to leave the tares and the wheat to grow together, and do the weeding at the end of time (Matthew 13). In some cases I make a similar decision. I will handle those weeds again and again in order to save the great plants that are growing close to them.


The job of weeding reminds me of sin. Maybe you, like me, have found that weeding, like ridding your life of sin, involves the following.


oWeeding is backbreaking work. If I do not stay alert and "prayed up," sin keeps returning. If I don't stay up to date with the weeding, the weeds overtake the garden. Alertness is the crucial!


oIt helps if the weeds can be brought up by the roots. If possible, it is best to stop sin at its source. For example, my nature is to worry and be afraid of unidentified scenarios. That is the reverse of faith. When fear raises its unsightly head in my life, I need to go back to the essentials: relying on God! As my hubby states, "Fear and faith can not occupy the very same area."


oSometimes I need help. The job of weeding is a bit frustrating sometimes, specifically since my other half and I travel much of the year. Occasionally my spouse, a friend or a next-door neighbor will sit with me and help me pull out weeds. Likewise, an accountability partner can typically see an area that is upseting to God that I have overlooked.


oWeeding is much easier if the soil is soft or damp. If you ever tried to pull weeds in hard, dry soil, you know how hard it can be. Likewise, it is easier to dispose of sin when it is fresh and identifiable as sin. The longer sin is left to harden in our lives, the more difficult it is to get rid of.


I started this post by discussing how much I enjoy to see new development and flowers in my garden. That is how I wish to end it also. Weeding, both in my garden and in my life, is well worth it.

As I observe the flowers in my garden, I am advised that a garden is not simply one flower. It is many flowers. You and I belong to a huge garden that God has planted.


More Information

No comments:

Post a Comment